Ok so nothing like leaving it to the last minute, but here are the Union Jacks and red white and blue bunting we made today for the Royal Wedding tomorrow. I could not bring myself to buy crappy plastic ones and wanted the girls to be involved in the making.

I took two pieces of cream coloured, unbleached muslin I had knocking about that looked about flag sized and found two bamboo sticks in the garden that haven’t been used for my peas. Then we ‘painted’ the union jacks on with poster paint. I folded the flags into quarters then folded them into triangles as in the picture. I made a rough ‘stencil’ with a piece of A4 so that Martha could paint the blue triangles of the flag in the right places with neat(ish) edges. We used plenty of paint so it would soak through the folded fabric and paint all the triangles at the same time. In hindsight it would have been easier if the paint had been thinned a little with water, I touched up the triangles that came out a bit too patchy. Then we opened them up and painted the red cross through the middle and the other red bits. We hung them on the washing line to dry, then painted an inch of glue down one of the short edges and rolled the bamboo cane up in the gluey fabric and left it to dry.

I am really pleased with how they came out I was hoping for a vintage look to the flags and we got that with the kiddy painting and the unbleached muslin with slightly frayed edges. The only real problem we had with their manufacture was my insistence that as it was a sunny day the project should be undertaken in the garden, but it was a really windy day and we struggled to keep the fabric, paint pots, safety newspaper and indeed the children in place for very long.

I also knocked up some bunting with some left over fabric tape from my last bunting project (https://mrspeacocksthingstomakeanddo.wordpress.com/2010/07/27/half-hour-bunting), some more of the unbleached muslin and some red and blue cotton lining fabric I had bought to make the girls some dresses with (I am hoping there is still enough left!) Unlike the last bunting, I left the raw cut edges on these triangles to give it the vintage look I was going for, then just sewed the tape in half lengthways with the short edge of each triangle sandwiched in between.

So now we are all ready, the girls even had a practice waving the flags, shame we are staying at home to watch it on the telly!

Advertisements

Half Hour Bunting

July 27, 2010

I had promised a friend that I would make some bunting for her son’s 3rd birthday party, obviously I left it till the last minute but managed to knock this up in about half and hour on my sewing machine. I made it double sided so it looks good if its hung away from a wall/fence/other surface and there is no fiddly hemming to do. I made my pattern from a piece of A4 folded in half lengthways and cut to a shorter length isosceles triangle. (I think about 25cm long), it just looked like the right proportions for the flags. I used fabrics from my hoard of recycled bits a bobs – mostly bed linens and curtains plus an old shirt I bought in the charity shop for £3. The pink gingham was bought to use as a tablecloth for my daughters’ christening. I did buy the fabric tape on ebay, I have used bias binding for this before as it comes in such jolly colours however this cream stuff was cheaper and it turns out easier to work with. I cut out the flags as per my pattern, 3 out of each fabric, then sewed the two long sides with the wrong sides together then turned them inside out using my sewing scissors to push the ‘noses’ to a point and ironed them flat, then folded the tape in half and sewed it together for 30cms for the leader on the bunting to tie it up with, then sandwiched the un-sewed side of on the the flags into the fold of the tape and sewed straight through it. Continuing to add flags every 7cms -ish, I used the width of the sewing surface on my machine as a measure, until I ran out of flags then sewed another 30coms of folded tape for the end. Job done and it looks pretty good, if a little feminine for a boys birthday party, unfortunately my hoard does not include much dinosaur fabric, maybe I’ll start looking out for some in the charity shops.