I love making toys from stuff destined for the bin. We made this princess castle with bits and bobs of recycling last week, it made use of an old teabags box, a kitchen roll tube, a toilet roll tube, a tube from the inside of some wrapping paper (cut into 2) a pringles tube, a paper cup and the pointing bits from the inside of an egg box. Martha and I asssembled these pieces and cut some castle top shape strips out of an old cereal box to decorate the tops of a tower and the tea box. We glued these together and to help them stay together while the pva glue dried I used some masking tape. We painted the whole lot pink (of course!) and left it to dry.

The next day, I cut out some windows and arrow slits from black paper and Martha chose where to stick them on (the big window in the paper cup roof of the pringles box is the princess’s bedroom!). Then we used the frilly bit from the edge of a doily to decorate the egg box bit roofs. Martha drew some flowers and we stuck them on the sides of the towers and then decorated the whole lot with some sequins.

Martha also wanted to make a rainbow to go with her castle, so I cut a semi circle out of a bit of left over mount board, but any thick cardboard would work and made two supports for each side by cutting half a slit in the rainbow and half in the support and sliding them together. Martha drew a rainbow on the white side with crayons, and then we painted each coloured stripe with glue and covered it in different coloured glitter. To make the rainbow as sparkly as possible.

Once they were dry she has been playing with them ever since, using happyland figures. I think they look pretty good for rubbish.

Recycled Royal Wedding

April 18, 2011

Today we made Wills and Kate in preparation for the Royal Wedding. Martha is quite excited that a real girl is going to marry a prince and be a princess, so we decided to imortalise the happy couple in toilet roll tubes!

We prepared the toilet roll tubes at the weekend when we had the paints out, and painted the top third of each tube pink for their faces and the bottom two thirds white for the bride and blue for the groom. Then today we got out the old birthday cards, paper doilies and stickers to decorate them. I think I did a fine job with the biro capturing the likenesses, and we set about cutting crowns and jewels out of the birthday cards. We also made a king and queen to attend the wedding, but they are a bit more abstract.

If we get a chance we might do Westminster Abbey out of an old wine box, I’ll keep you posted!

Cardboard Box Car

June 23, 2010

At the beginning of last week the weather was pretty rubbish and we needed an entertainment for the one arm girl, fortunately her new car seat had arrived the previous week and the novelty of simply sitting in the box was starting to wear off. We decided to turn it into a car. The basic shape was achieved by using the front flap as the windscreen and cutting the side flaps at an angle to support the front piece, removing the rest of the side flaps from where it looked OK. Use a serrated bread knife to cut cardboard, sharp kitchen knives will be ruined and scissors are too tricky, just hack away with a bread knife making sure little ‘helpful’ fingers are well out of the way. We used masking tape to stick the windscreen flap and the side flaps together – we had a view to painting this car outside when the weather allowed but the car came to its natural demise long before the weather got better. The off cuts of the flaps we used to make the wheels and the steering wheel and column. I used a sideplate as a template. We cut a door, and a petrol filler cap. Then drew on it with marker pen until we planned to paint it. Later we used a kitchen roll tube as a petrol pump – between the sofa and the chair was the garage.

After a day or two the constant climbing in and out and dragging it over the floor the box and my tolerance of it taking up so much space was wearing thin, so it went to the recycle bin and never did get painted.